Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Putting A Chair In Its Place

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Do you have a favorite chair?

I have a thing for chairs, so there are quite a few in my house that I'm partial to.




My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

I have to admit that when we first saw this chair in the store, I wasn't sure how much I even liked it. The fabric on the floor model was a country plaid, and the frame was a bleached wood. I had a hard time visualizing how this "plain jane chair" would look all dressed up in a fancy fabric.

Oh, and about the fabric? At the time, I thought it was kind of ordinary, but given all of the other things in the living room, like the rug and drapes, I wasn't overly concerned about this competing to be the center of attention. It just needed to have a supporting role, to help make the other pieces look good. I had no idea that it was going a scene stealer.

When the chair finally arrived, I was thrilled with how it turned out. It looked nothing like the original country-style chair we had seen in the showroom. It's amazing how fabric can change the personality of a piece of furniture.

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

I loved the rich, warm colors, and the striped fabric gave it a classy look. 

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

The frame had lots of detail, like the carvings on the arms and legs. 

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

 The curved back made it look substantial, yet graceful.  

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Yes, I was happy with it.

But as pretty as it was, I don't think it really began to shine until we found the right spot for it. 

At first, we placed it next to the round table at a right angle to the couch, as you can see below. We left the it there for months.

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes
One day, someone who was visiting suggested that we move the chair in front of the bookcase, and angle it in towards the sofa.

And that's when it really began to win me over. 

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Anchoring the chair against the bookcase really showed off its style, and made the fabric pop. It's kind of like having a nice sweater and a pretty scarf. Individually, they look nice, but wearing them together makes a statement. 

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Simply moving the chair to the right spot changed the feel of my living room, and  created a cozy little vignette.

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes




Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see what other furniture around here needs to be put in its proper place. 

My Statement Chair for One Kings Lane by Ms Toody Goo Shoes







Linking With:


37 comments:

  1. Gorgeous chair - I love the fabric you chose and how well it ties into your beautiful home. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire, for commenting again on this "revised" post. Oy, I feel so much better now :)

      Delete
  2. Amy, the armchair is gorgeous, elegantly classic and very comfortable looking! I also use stripes with florals and solids, just find it charming! I love furniture placed on an angle, just seems more inviting and less structured and formal and intimidating! Unfortunately, our living room and sun room are not very big, and our furniture is geometrically placed in order to accommodate all the pieces! Your living room is one of the prettiest I've ever had the pleasure of 'sitting' in, and makes cyberSPACE feel cozy, warm and bright!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I'm glad you stopped by to "sit" in my living room. This room was awkward to decorate, but somehow it all came together. It's pretty cozy, especially on those rare days that we actually light the fireplace!

      Delete
  3. That's a very pretty chair and just perfect in that room! I'm a big fan of symetry. So, with the chair in it's new location, it is symetric and where it should be. I also like soft things placed in front of hard things so the room feel cozier. Moving that chair in front of the bookcase does that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, Kelly -- soft in front of hard, but it makes perfect sense! I'm going to wander around my house to see what else may benefit from that strategy!

      Delete
  4. Very lovely chair! The whole room is very cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Of course, there's always a few things I'd do differently ;)

      Delete
  5. This chair is gorgeous and has all my favorite colors. I love it!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought was 'classic style" when I saw the chair ...my second was "thank goodness she doesn't have some delectable pumpkin doughnut to make me drool over this time because I have not eaten yet and that would make me crave those doughnuts again and I don't have doughnut tins and what an idiot...you were supposed to shop for those tins on amazon the other day and shut up forget the doughnuts and focus on the chair again" :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Deb! Glad I didn't torture you with those doughnuts. But beware....I'm getting ready for another Nutella treat very soon. I'll try to warn you, so you can eat first. No special equipment needed for this one, though! Now go order those doughnut pans!

      Delete
  7. Can't help but laugh at Deb's comment above!

    What is it with we women and chairs? Yours is gorgeous! I can't even picture it before as it looks so right now. And by the way, beautiful room with lovely colors, and that nice light coming in to make it all warm and inviting.

    I love your choice of fabric and the stain too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think I have a chair fetish, Dewena! I had the hardest time photographing this room...when the sun was out, it washed everything out, but when it moved away, it was too dark. I could have used a professional for this one!

      Delete
  8. loving your statement chair and it really does make a statement right there, no wait, there, oh okay over there. yes that is the spot, perfect giggle. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Location, location, location! Finally figured it out for this chair! Thanks for stopping by, Katherine!

      Delete
  9. Love your chair and the spot is perfect!! The fabric colors are so warm, it fits in your beautiful living room. Very inviting!!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jody...I am cringing at how some of the photos make this room look so yellow...it was so hard to find the right lighting to photograph. Ah, well, a professional I am not! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! I love the feel of that room and the chair is perfect! Glad you've found the right spot for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room definitely feels better with that chair where it is now. Glad you stopped by, Rosella!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful home! And I love this chair! I have been looking for a chair with these gorgeous lines. You have to tell me where I can one of these chairs please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got the chair from Ethan Allen
      http://www.ethanallen.com
      Hope they have one wherever you are!

      Delete
  12. I love the fabric and the shape of your chair. I belive finding the right place for things is one of the most difficult thing in decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Magali! Even having it "off" just a few degrees can make it look all wrong.

      Delete
  13. You have a beautiful home! I'm glad to have found your blog. What part of Jersey do you live in? I'm from South Jersey. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I'm from North Jersey..I will hop over to your blog tomorrow! Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  14. That is a beautiful chair and it certainly found the right place. I love the stripes and the color. I have a thing for chairs too .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chairs, Shoes...there are so many things to have a "thing" for!

      Delete
  15. I am a foodie, but just had to comment on this chair. It is gorgeous and I love the feel of it. It fits right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Lemon! It really turned out to be one of my favorite pieces. I appreciate that you stopped by!

      Delete
  16. Beautiful chair and what a beautiful home and blog you have. I am following here and on my personal FB. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is an absolute gorgeous chair. Fits perfect with your decor Amy! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a gorgeous chair. It really does look beautiful against your gorgeous bookcase. I love your living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I'm happy with how it all turned out. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  19. I love the shape, too. I'm glad you like my blog name :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.