Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups - An Easy Thanksgiving Dessert


Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Do you have a recipe that you've made so many times, you can make it in your sleep?

I can't tell you how many times I've made these Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups.    

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

They are a seasonal favorite, and since I had some canned pumpkin in the house...and some time...I decided to whip up a batch. 

This recipe calls for only 1/4 cup of pumpkin, and I'm always at a loss with what to do with the rest of it.

That's exactly what I was thinking, this time, as I was measuring out the ingredients. 

Unfortunately, I got my answer, and I wasn't happy about it. 


But more about that in a minute. 

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I don't remember which magazine I got this recipe from...Better Homes and Gardens, maybe? If you recognize it, let me know so I can give it proper credit. 

The pumpkin cups are very easy to make, yet look like they take a lot of effort, which is my kind of recipe.

I was plugging along, making the dough, which is a snap -- it's three ingredients in the mixer, and comes together in a minute. 

I rolled the dough into 24 balls, and put them in mini-muffin tins. 

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I shaped the little pie crusts, by pushing the dough into the bottoms and up the sides of the pan. Easy as pie, right?  

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Actually, it's easier than pie. 

Everything was going great! I'd have these beauties ready to pop in the oven and still have enough daylight in the kitchen to start photographing them. 

I don't know about you, but now that we've moved the clocks back, it really puts a damper on my photo shoots.  The natural sunlight in the kitchen is fleeting, and I'm finding there's a really short window for taking pictures.

I was playing beat the clock with the sunlight, so I guess I was rushing a bit.

While the crusts were baking, I mixed up the filling. No matter how many times I make these, I always think there's not going to be enough filling, but there is.

I took the crusts out of the oven -- They always come out all puffy, but they're fine once  filled.

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

After they cooled, I spooned the filling into the crusts with a teaspoon...

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

...covered them with the pecan/sugar mixture...

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

and...

Whoooops!

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

One of the tins slipped out of my hands... and half of the filling spilled into the oven. 

I can't repeat what I said, because this is a family-friendly blog, but let's just say I didn't curse like a sailor...I cursed like all of them.

What. A. Mess.

Brown sugar, butter, and a hot oven do not a good combination make. 

Half a roll of paper towel later, I got it cleaned up.  

The pie crusts survived the disaster, and were intact...

...and there was that extra canned pumpkin. 

So I whipped up another batch of filling and topping.

Good thing this recipe is easy, but I was not a happy camper. 

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Mr. Goo Shoes missed this entire kitchen debacle, so when he came in, I told him what happened. 

He just looked at me and shook his head...and said...

" I'm gonna start calling you Miss Mess..." 

...which is one of our nicknames for the dog. 

I guess I can't argue with that title.

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

So this blog post took a different turn, and became about the mess I made, instead of writing about how great these are to make for Thanksgiving. 

Anyway, they really are a great Thanksgiving dessert. It's a different take on the usual pumpkin or pecan pies. People will think you worked really hard to make them, but honestly? I bet you can have these in the oven before they even finish rolling out one full-size pie crust.

Although everyone is stuffed after a big Thanksgiving meal, there's always room for one of these little bites.

They taste even better warm...so if you can warm them up a bit just before serving, all the better. At the very least, let them come to room temperature. 

Enjoy!

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

MINI PUMPKIN PECAN CUPS


For the crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour

For the filling:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. half-and-half, light cream, or milk
4 tsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp. rum, or 1/4 tsp. rum flavoring
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

For the topping:
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted 

In a medium mixer bowl beat the 1/2 cup butter and the cream cheese with an electric mixer till well blended.  Stir in flour.  Divide dough into 24 balls, 1-inch in diameter, and press the dough evenly into bottom and up sides of 24 1-3/4" mini muffin pans. Bake in a 325-degree oven for 10 minutes.  

Combine the 1/2 cup brown sugar, pumpkin, egg yolk, cream or milk, the 4 teaspoons of butter, rum or rum flavoring, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Spoon into warm prebaked cups.  Stir together nuts, remaining brown sugar, and remaining butter; sprinkle over  pumpkin mixture.

Bake in 325-degree oven for 25 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Loosen and remove cups from pans.  Serve warm or cool.  Makes 24.

Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cups  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I hope you try this recipe, and if you do...

Hold on tight to your muffin pans!








Linking With: 
Recipe Sharing Monday 
Sunday Showcase Party 
Creative Mondays 
Metamorphosis Mondays 
Pincentive Blog Hop
Time To Sparkle 
Tweak It Tuesday 
Brag About It Tuesday 
Wow Us Wednesday
Home and Garden Thursday 
Simple and Sweet Fridays 
Ladies Only Blog Share 
Fabulously Creative Fridays 
Feathered Nest Fridays 
Home Sweet Home 
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Tickled Pink Times Two
Best of the Weekend 
Bouquet Of Talent 
Simply BeBetsy Dessert Sweeties

47 comments:

  1. They are the cutest little crusts of sweetness I've seen in a long time! And, your pics are great, Amy! Lucky, you were able to save the situation with that leftover canned pumpkin! Thanks for sharing!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy! Aren't they cute, Poppy? They're so little that I think I can eat lots of them in one sitting!

      Delete
  2. Um, ok. I will take all of these off of your hands, "Miss Mess".
    I laughed out loud at "I cursed like all of them".

    Not that that has EVER happened to me. I am a "lady", after all. Ahem.
    ;)

    Pinning now. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I think that nickname is going to stick with me...Thank you for pinning, Claire. And sorry about not getting back to you sooner re your FB message. I did just reply to your email.

      Delete
  3. These look SO good! I will probably be making these because I showed your pics to my husband (knowing he loves pecan anything) and he perked right up! I like how easy they look to make too. That's my kind of recipe. I'm the baker of the family and my husband is the cook. So, I guess it's up to me to make these. LOL! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your husband liked the pics! They really are easy, Kelly. I'm the baker in my family, and unfortunately, no one is the cook! I have to do it, but I don't like to! I'd rather bake any day. I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, those look good. I always make a mess if I bake. I may have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a messy baker, too, Kim. And this time, I even outdid myself! These really are easy. I don't think you can mess them up -- unless you drop them, of course!

      Delete
  5. I am saving this recipe, Amy. It sounds REALLY good and easy...and I will remember not to drop my tin on the way into the oven. Could you send me a list of the curse words just in case there are a few I don't know -IF I drop my tin!?;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are good, Diana, and they really are easy! The list of curse words is in the mail!

      Delete
  6. These look so good. I am adding this to my buffet menu! I'd love it if you linked these to Whayd You Do This Weekend?

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda
    www.tumbleweedcontessa.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm printing this out! I can already taste them! For some reason my kids love tiny pies or tarts. I always take the easy way out and buy the frozen tart shells but this looks doable and would have to taste so much better than the frozen ones. My sympathies to you not only for having to bake another batch but for the oven mess. Is your oven self-cleaning? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son decided years ago he didn't like pie. I have no idea why -- he never even tasted one. Yesterday, I asked him if he wanted to taste my "cookies," which he did, and loved it. He wanted to know what kind of cookies they were, and I said they were mini pies! He just started laughing. These really are very easy to make! And although the oven is self-cleaning, the goo dripped in between the crack of the open door, and landed in the most impossible place to clean. Ugh!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness those look good! I am the messiest cook for sure but that's what they make paper towels for right?? I must add these beauties to my Christmas baking list (since our Thanksgiving is already over here). Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rosella, they'll taste just as good for Christmas! Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. I've been wanting to make mini pies and these look perfect. Love that they have pumpkin and pecans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like about them, Megan, is the addition of the pumpkin flavor.

      Delete
  10. Oh my these look so good. My brother in-law loves Pecan pie...this would be a great way to bring in that and pumpkin for the holiday! I have to try this! THX for sharing... sorry for your disaster....I do things like that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do things like this more than I care to admit, Liz! I hope your brother-in-law enjoys them!

      Delete
  11. They look yummy. I love mini pies and pecan, so I'm sure I'll love them. I had to laugh when I saw your "whoops" moment, because that kind of thing happen to me all the time! I'm quite clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's clumsy in the kitchen! I've done far worse than this! Hope you try the mini pies!

      Delete
  12. These sound delish! Great idea. I’m hosting a giveaway for 2 pillow covers that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/pillow-covers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had a few sailor moments in the kitchen too Amy! These little gems look so yummy. What a perfect Thanksgiving dinner dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have way more than I care to mention, Eileen! It's one of my finer traits -- being clumsy!

      Delete
  14. Oh boy what tasty little treats these are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Amy, I can sooooo relate to this post! I baked a cake Sunday night and it wound up in the garbage! Yes, lets just say I forgot an ingredient!

    These little beauties are wonderful...I don't think anyone would not have room for at least two or three!!
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you don't mind me saying it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one! But I am sorry about your cake!

      Delete
  16. Stopping by from Cropped Stories...These look wonderful! I'm going to make them for Turkey day! We'll be on the road and these will be a perfect treat for when we meet up with the family1

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am for sure going to have to try this recipe out for Thanksgiving! I'd love it if you shared it on our link party. http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/2013/11/its-that-time-again-friday-follow-along.html?showComment=1383938908116#c5339902121145873993

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look wonderful and delicious, even if you did mess up the first batch! ;)
    Stopping by from Best Of The Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, these look incredible and delish! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend - pinning and sharing today! Have a happy Saturday and a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pinning and sharing, Cindy! And thank you for hosting the party!

      Delete
  20. I am so sorry about the oven mishap. I hate when stuff like that happens. These look fantastic. I will have to give them a try. Your nails look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! It happens more often than I care to admit! The pecan cups really are great...And thanks about my nails :)

      Delete
  21. Hello Amy - they look marvelous - it is a difficult time of the year to get good lighting! I am delighted to share that your post will be featured in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome, Kathy! I'm so excited about the feature! Thank you!

      Delete
  22. ...MMM those look really good and so do the donuts. I printed your recipes, thank you.

    I enjoyed visiting your blog.

    Michael
    Sunset and Icicles

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Ms Mess - hee hee

    You know, my husband says the same thing about me - YIKES! These little pies are perfect all you have to do is pop 3-4 in your mouth at at once - kidding... but you could if you wanted to. DELICIOUS! THANKS for sharing these mini goodies on #simplybebetsy

    Sharon (and always Denise too)

    ReplyDelete
  24. G'day! These are now on my list to do! Thank you!
    I do hope you will link some of your recipes at our @SayGdayParty on Saturdays Adelaide time; conversion time in my blog post each week!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for posting this. I made them years ago and have been looking for the recipie again

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.