Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Introducing The Hannukopia -- A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece


The Hannukopia - A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

What do you get when you cross Thanksgiving with Hannukah?

Thanksgivukah!

Yes, this year, the first day of Hannukah (which is actually the second night -- oy, it's so complicated!) falls on Thanksgiving...a mash-up of epic proportions!

This has spurred a frenzy of culinary creativity, resulting in hybrid Thanksgiving/Hannukah recipes, like Challah Stuffing, Sweet Potato Latkes, Cranberry Applesauce...there are way too many to list.  

The Hannukopia - A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Thanksgivukah has gone so crazy, it's got it's own Facebook page; there are Pinterest boards, T-shirts, videos on You Tube, and maybe best of all, the Menurkey...a Menorah in the shape of a turkey designed by a 9-year old boy named Asher Weintraub.

And, introducing...


The Hannukopia...

a Thanksgiving/Hannukah Cornucopia, stuffed with pine cones, dreidels and gelt! 

A Kosher Horn of Plenty...

..or a Horn of Tchatchkes, if you will.


The Hannukopia - A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble of serving pumkpin Challah, horseradish mashed potatoes, and cranberry-filled doughnuts, you need a proper centerpiece, no? 

The Hannukopia - A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

It's a rare occurrance that these two holidays collide. In fact, last time it happened was in 1888, back when Grover Cleveland was president, and the year when Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear.

Ouch.

But don't put Thanksgivukah into your iPhone calendar just yet... the next time it rolls around is 70,000 years from now!!!!

The Hannukopia - A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
 המאושר Thanksgivukah! 
(that's Happy Thanksgivukah in Hebrew).

The Hannukopia - A Thanksgivukah Centerpiece  by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Linking With: 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    You won't believe this, but...just prior to clicking onto your blog, I was surfing AOL, and one of the features running was, 'Have a Vegan-Inspired Thanksgivukah'! I figured it was a celebration combining the two holidays from the compound wording, and then...two seconds later, it appeared before me once again here! Hmm. Wonder if I should take that as a sign and bake myself some Challah, (any excuse for something sweet to eat!).

    Your hannukopia is definitely fit for the occasion! I was first introduced to dreidels in primary school, when during the month of December, we would gather in the school auditorium to sing both Christmas carols and Hebrew hymns/songs. Well, one of them began, 'Dreidel spin, dance and turn, Hannuka's lights will burn...' Do you know it? I still remember the whole song!

    Have a lovely Thanksgivukah!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about the Vegan Thanksgivukah post...most definitely a sign, and I hope you made that challah! That's one thing I've never attempted - i'm terrified of yeast! I don't know the dreidel song you mentioned, but love that you remember every word :)

      Delete
  2. Love it! Where did you find the basket? I've been searching but can't find one anywhere. Thanks for sharing my Jelly Doughnut Cupcake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, believe it or not, the cornucopia was my mom's. She used to used it on her Thanksgiving table. I would guess they have them at Michaels or other craft stores. Happy to share your recipe :) Have a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - 1888?? Now that IS cause for rare celebration and I learned something new. I love your Hannukopia! It's just so festive and fun and how neat to see the two holidays combined this way. Pinning now! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it should be extra fun celebrating both, but I am WAY behind in my Chanukah shopping since it's so early! Always appreciate your pins, Claire!

      Delete
  4. Wow! So are you going to eat twice as much? That was both funny and intersting, my favourite kind of posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, yes, going to eat twice as much! Glad you enjoyed the post, Magali!

      Delete
  5. Very creative - I love it!! You always have fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I swear this one came to me in a dream :) Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  6. I love it, Amy. It is the perfect combination of all things good! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is new to me! I've learned something here. I hope you post some pictures and recipes later of what you cook.

    Happy Thanksgivukah! [Did I spell that right?]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do a post of something my sister is making, and possibly one more, if I can get it done! Yes, you spelled it exactly right!

      Delete
  8. That is incredible. I had no idea that the two ever ended up on the same day. But since last time it happened I wasn't born….
    You are so fun with your hannukopia. It will be pinned like crazy for the next time it happens. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.